Friday, December 11, 2009

Life Saver (Proverbs 13:5-6)

The difference between a righteous man and a wicked man is that the righteous man feels guilt. When he has transgressed against the Lord, his heart weighs heavy in his chest.

"A [consistently] righteous man hates lying and deceit, but a wicked man is loathsome [his very breath spreads pollution] and he surely comes to shame." Proverbs 13:5, Amplified

The righteous man can lie. It is within the ability of every man to transgress the commandments of the Lord. The difference between the two is the shame that follows. I know for myself, when I sin, a great heaviness accompanies it. I begin to hate myself for allowing my heart to stray. Forgiveness is soon sought after. But the wicked man feels no shame or guilt. The difference is that within the righteous man resides the Holy Spirit. Conviction causes the Christian to seek forgiveness.

"Righteousness [rightness and justice in every area and relation] guards him who is upright in his way, but wickedness plunges into sin and overthrows the sinner." Proverbs 13:6, Amplified

If we walk in righteousness, we will be guarded. This is not to say that bad things will not happen to the righteous man. I know that I got fired from my job when I decided to do the right thing. You see, we must view everything in our lives as a greater plan created by God. The guard that covers the Christian is the faith that he possesses. When things go wrong for the sinner, he has nothing to hold on to. If all we ever know is sin, then that sin will soon overtake us. But if we come to a saving knowledge of the Lord, then we have that proverbial life saver awaiting us.

No comments:

Post a Comment