Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Spongebob is a Teaching Tool? (Proverbs 19:4)

There are many different verses in the book of Proverbs that happen to deal with money. I think I have made myself perfectly clear on where I stand with money. I like money. I wish I had more of it. However, need can quickly turn to want and that desire for more can corrupt the heart.

"Wealth makes many friends, but the poor is avoided by his neighbor." Proverbs 19:4, Amplified

The concept of wealth making many friends is something that is easily understood by many different types of persons. Even children understand this concept. I remember watching a Spongebob episode where he had sold a large pearl to a jeweler. Eventually, he had so much money he was just giving it away. New faces emerged as dedicated friends. But as soon as the money ran out, the new friends were gone. But Patrick still remained.
Forgive me for using Spongebob as a teaching tool, but I felt the spirit of the episode fit so neatly within the confines of the subject of the verse. Even watching shows on E! about people who have won the lottery and the new friends they received from the new found fortune.
There is a friendship however, that goes deeper than wealth and actually finds the wealth of the soul. Jesus knows the real person of who I am. No amount of money will change that. My wife would not love me more if I had more money, nor would my children. There are friends who would not be affected by money. But I know right now I have great friends for I have nothing to give but myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment