Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Wrath (Proverbs 14:29)

In the past decade, the escalation of wrath has been phenomenal. Children dying at the hands of angry parents. The introduction of the term "Road Rage". One of the signs of a Christian is he who is slow to anger. It is an attribute of God. The Lord has had almost 2,000 years since the death and resurrection of Jesus to destroy the world, but we are still here despite the proverbial spit in the face.

"He who is slow to anger has great understanding, but he who is hasty of spirit exposes and exalts his folly." Proverbs 14:29, Amplified

I know that for myself, there have been some times where I have gotten angry at something simply because I did not fully understand what was going on. If I had remained calm and asked one or two more questions, or let someone explain what was going on, I would have never looked like the idiot. Patience allows for one to fully envelope his surrounding s and understand what is going on and calculate a response. James encourages Christians of the same thing, "So then, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath; for the wrath of man does not produce the righteousness of God." (James 1:19-20, NKJV)
I encourage anyone who may have this issue in their lives to pray to the Lord and find a way to manage the anger. Hastiness is never from the Lord. Wrath is not becoming of God. Peace and patience are two attributes that never left Jesus' side. I used to be that man who was hasty in his anger, but it was because of unexposed sin in my own life. I this is the case for you, confess it quickly. If not, pray that the Lord would lead the quest of self discovery and become a better man (or woman) because of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment