Friday, January 29, 2010

Impacting Eternity (Proverbs 14:31)

Being poor is not just a monetary or financial issue.

"He who oppresses the poor reproaches, mocks and insults his Maker, but he who is kind and merciful to the needy honors Him." Proverbs 14:31, Amplified

There are many different forms of need. When I think of the poor, I always see the man at the corner of the freeway off ramp holding a sign expecting a hand out. We as Christians need to identify those needs and be willing to fulfill that void.
In the Gospel of Matthew, when Jesus is judging the nations, He states, "For I was hungry and you gave Me food; I was thirsty and you gave Me drink; I was a stranger and you took Me in; I was naked and you clothed Me; I was sick and you visited Me; I was in prison and you came to Me." (Matthew 25:35-36, NKJV) But the righteous will answer and say that they did none of these things for Jesus. But Jesus will answer that and say, "Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me." (Matthew 25:40, NKJV) Everything that we do impacts eternity.
Even Peter understood this concept. Peter and John were about to enter the temple when a man begging for alms caught their attention. This is how the story transpired, "And a certain man lame from his mother's womb was carried, whom they laid daily at the gate of the Temple which is called Beautiful, to ask for alms from those who entered the temple; who, seeing Peter and John about to go into the temple, asked for alms. And fixing his eyes on him, with John, Peter said, 'Look at us.' So he gave them his attention, expecting to receive something from them. Then Peter said, 'Silver and gold I do not have, but what I do have I give to you: in the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, rise up and walk.' And he took him by the right hand and lifted him up, and immediately his feet and ankle bones received strength." (Acts 3:2-7, NKJV) The need that we meet does not necessarily have to be monetary, as long as it impacts eternity.
The result of Peter speaking out in faith was this, "So he, leaping up, stood and walked and entered the temple with them - walking, leaping and praising God. And all the people saw him walking and praising God." (Acts 3:8-9, NKJV) Peter had impacted eternity.
Have the faith in Jesus Christ and reach out in faith, touch someone's life. Jesus never asked for a miracle to be performed everyday, but He does expected us to love the unlovable and touch the undesirable. Reach out and impact eternity today.

No comments:

Post a Comment