Friday, January 14, 2011

Parents and Children (Proverbs 23:24-25)

To bring delight to his (or her) parents should be the ultimate goal for a child.

"The father of the [uncompromisingly] righteous - the upright, in right standing with God - shall greatly rejoice, and he who becomes the father of a wise child shall have joy in him." Proverbs 23:24, Amplified

I like the language in this verse. "He who becomes the father of a wise child..." Isn't a man already a father upon the birth of his child? Or even at conception? The "becoming" is not referring to the father, rather it is referring to the wisdom of the child. There comes an age where the child will know right from wrong. What age is it? Is it a specific age? I believe it changes for different children. With the age issue aside, that man becomes the father of a wise child when that child makes wise decisions.
I remember how much pain I brought upon my parents as a teenager. I made so many bad choices. My mother would lose sleep waiting up for me to come back drunk from a party or even high. But how much joy I brought to my parents as I turned my life around is unmeasurable. The day I went into U-Turn 4 Christ, my life changed. I subsequently went to Bible College and met my wife, which ultimately resulted in the birth of my two beautiful children.

"Let your father and your mother be glad, and let her who bore you rejoice." Proverbs 23:25, Amplified

This verse is not a request to allow your parents to rejoice because of your actions, rather it is a result of your action that they will rejoice. Read the verse in its original text, "Thy father and thy mother shall be glad, and she that bore thee shall rejoice." (KJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment