Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Be Filled Not With Wine (Proverbs 23:29-35)

Drunkenness is not a trait or a characteristic befitting a Christian.

"Who has woe? Who has sorrow? Who has strife? Who has complaining? Who has wounds without cause? Who has redness and dimness of eyes?" Proverbs 23:29, Amplified

In truth, the first three questions can be applied to us all. But as we read further we see where Solomon is going because the drunkard does have wounds without cause and redness of the eyes. There is a time I remember where I was bowling drunk. I know, stupid, right? The next day I had a biggest bruise on my right thigh from where the ball would hit me every time I was up. The drunker one gets, the less control they have over their own bodies.

"Those who tarry long at the wine, they go to seek and try mixed wine." Proverbs 23:30, Amplified

The answer to Solomon's inquest is found in this very next verse. It is those who tarry long at the wine, or drink a lot. Some cults have taken a verse in the New Testament out of context when it comes to drunkenness. It is called being "drunk in the Spirit". I have been drunk in the Spirit before and I will tell you what, it is a horrible feeling. It feels like I just drank myself into a stupor. What they call being drunk in the Spirit I call being "drunk in a spirit". However, the Bible encourages the believer not to seek the drink, rather seek out the Spirit. What Paul wrote was this: "And do not be drunk with wine in which is dissipation; but be filled with the Spirit." (Ephesians 5:18, NKJV) Those with woes and sorrows seek out alcohol to fill a void. But what Paul says is that the Spirit has the answers we are seeking, He can truly fill that void. The drunkenness wears off, but the Spirit remains.

"Do not look at the wine when it is red, when it sparkles in the wineglass, when it goes down smoothly. At the last it bites like a serpent, and stings like an adder." Proverbs 23:31-32, Amplified

It is interesting that Solomon uses the analogy of snake venom to define how alcohol effects the body. Yeah, it may look good and smell great and feel so good going down, but in the end it will bite you just like a slithering snake. It is also interesting how Solomon uses the adder specifically, because the word actually refers to a variety of snakes (just as there are a variety of drinks).

"[Under the influence of wine] your eyes will behold strange things [and loose women], and your mind will utter things turned the wrong way, untrue, incorrect and petulant." Proverbs 23:33, Amplified

If you have been inebriated before, you can seriously agree with this statement. But I enjoy the fact that the Amplified Version decided to place "and loose women" into the verse.

"Yes, you will be [as unsteady] as he who lies down in the midst of the sea, and [as open to disaster] as he he who lies upon the top of the mast. You will say, They struck me, but I was not hurt! They beat me [as with a hammer], but I did not feel it! When shall I awake? I will crave and seek more wine again [and escape reality]." Proverbs 23:34-35, Amplified

So true. As a person drinks, they become more open to harm. It is a self destructive cycle. It is an escape from reality. There is no breaking this cycle except with the help of the Lord. Fill yourself then with the Spirit. Let Him cure your woes and sorrows.

No comments:

Post a Comment