Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Revenge (Proverbs 20:22)

Revenge is something that brews within the heart and slowly kills kills the host.

"Do not say, I will repay evil; wait (expectantly) for the Lord, and He will rescue you." Proverbs 20:22, Amplified

It is not in our best interest to repay evil for evil. Why? Because it affects our focus and concentration. Our focus and concentration should be on the Lord and nothing else. Paul wrote, "Repay no one evil for evil. Have regard for good things in the sight of all men. If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men. Beloved, do not avenge yourselves, but rather give place to wrath; for it is written, 'Vengeance is Mine, I will repay,' says the Lord." (Romans 12:17-19, NKJV)
To repay no evil for evil is not a suggestion, is a commandment. Paul said we need to have regard for the good things in life and that no man should see us wanting to get revenge. We need to do everything that is within our power to be at peace with everybody. It has been said that the only Bible one reads is us. In other words, our lives reflect the love of Jesus.
Our pursuit should be the good things in this life. "See that no one renders evil for evil to anyone, but always pursue what is good for yourselves and for all." (First Thessalonians 5:15, NKJV) Revenge is never a good thing. It takes all the focus off of the Lord and places it solely on the person that offended. I know first hand how nice it would be to repay evil with evil. Recently at work, I had my integrity called into question. I understand how my actions could be interpreted as something other than what I meant them to be. It offends me that people that I know are placed in the position to question how I conduct myself. It makes me feel like they do not trust me. But I know and understand that the Lord knows the truth and He will reveal all.

1 comment:

  1. I would like to add something more to this. Yes, there is that possibility of losing my job if I should take revenge. But more importantly, I am not reflecting the heart of the Father or the love of Jesus in taking revenge on another.

    ReplyDelete