Monday, August 2, 2010

Excuses (Proverbs 20:4)

There are so many different excuses for us to use on a daily basis. Which one best describes you?

"The sluggard will not plow when winter sets in; therefore shall he beg in harvest, and have nothing." Proverbs 20:4, Amplified

I actually prefer the New King James Version of this verse, "The lazy man will not plow because of winter; he will beg during harvest and have nothing." Excuses are like armpits, everyone has them and they all stink.
In this verse, the lazy man will not plow because winter is upon him. There are many different excuses concerning winter. "It's snowing, or it's too cold, etcetera." But what must be understood is that plowing and harvest happen year round. Different produce ripens at different times during the night. So the farmer must be diligent in plowing, for when it comes time for harvest he will have nothing to eat.
The same can be said about our spiritual lives. There are a plethora of excuses that one can use to not do the will and work of God. "I am too scared, or I am not a good public speaker, etcetera." In the kingdom of God, our excuses are useless for the Lord can give rebuttal to any of them. Moses was a great man of God who when first commissioned told the Lord that he was not eloquent of speech, later in his ministry addressed the nation of Israel. The Lord said, "I will certainly be with you." (Exodus 3:12, NKJV)
When we are afraid the Lord says, "Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, yes I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." (Isaiah 41:10, NKJV) When we doubt, Jesus reminds us, "For assuredly, I say to you, whoever says to this mountain, 'Be removed and be cast into the sea.' and does not doubt in his heart, but believes that those things he says will be done, he will have whatever he says. Therefore, I say to you, whatever things you ask when you pray, believe that you receive them, and you will have them." (Mark 11:23-24, NKJV)
Now these are only two human emotions dealt with in this verse. I challenge you to find anything else that you may be struggling with and the Lord has the answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment