Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Rest in the Lord (Proverbs 19:23)

I hate it when my alarm doesn't go off. Yesterday, my phone was on vibrate so I never heard my alarm. My day started before I did, so I was left catching up with my day. But it is verses like these that remind me that there are more important things in life.

"The reverent, worshipful fear of the Lord leads to life, and he who has it will rest satisfied; he cannot be visited with [actual] evil." Proverbs 19:23, Amplified

Remember that the fear of the Lord is actually a respect. If you respect someone, then you honor their wishes. Your parents leave to go out of town for the weekend and tell you to have no parties. Out of respect, you have none. If you fear and respect your friends more, though, you will end up having a party. We should never follow the Lord out of actual fear, for His perfect love casts out all fear. We should follow the Lord with honor and respect. For if we do then we will rest satisfied in Him. He gives us all that we need.
Sin leaves us hanging. We always need just a little more. There is no rest when we are living in sin. It is exhausting and it will eventually kill us. Sin causes us to fear and we are constantly hiding the evidence of what we have done. There is no rest in sin.
And as we revere and worship the Lord, we are given a promise, we cannot be visited by actual evil. In other words, our eyes will not be drawn away from Him. Our gaze will be steadily on the Lord. We cannot be visited by actual evil if we do not associate with evil things. Yes, there are times when the Lord allows for certain maladies to befall us. But remember, we are resting in Him. If He was the One to allow it, then He is the One to stop it. Do not be like the adulterer whose gaze is never on his bride, rather be like the newly wed who can think of nothing more than to please his spouse, lover and friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment