Monday, August 3, 2009

Treasures

Another truth the Lord told His disciples was about treasures.

"Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal..." Matthew 6:19, NKJV

To invest so much in earthy riches is a risk. To lay up for ourselves treasures on earth would take our attention off of the Lord. Why do I say this? Just like the Lord said, that if my treasure is here on earth, I will have to do all I can to protect it. The moth and rust will come and destroy. In the original King James the word used is "corrupt". How interesting that the Lord would use a word like corruption to describe earthly goods. This is the Second Law of Thermodynamics at work. Entropy. "Everything is moving from a state of order to a state of disorder." We see this in our daily lives. We constantly have to clean our houses because they are constantly moving into disorder; it takes an intelligent force to move everything back into order. This is pure distraction. If my treasures are here on earth, then I will constantly be caring for them, ensuring their value.
Also if treasures are here on earth there is a danger of theft. Again, distraction. The Lord does not want me to spend my time ensuring the safety of my treasure. He wants me to be focused on Him.

"...but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:20-21, NKJV

This just sums up what I have already stated. Where ever we put the most value, our hearts will be in that place. If having more toys and money and living a life of luxury here on earth, then our hearts will be here. The Lord is not saying to have no money or no possessions. What He is trying to convey here is that the money and possessions that we do have cannot become the focal point of our existence.

No comments:

Post a Comment