Saturday, August 29, 2009

In the Infamous Words of E.T., "Be Good." (Proverbs 3:27-30)

It is in man's nature to think only of himself, it is a self preservation. If one were to stick his hand in the fire then it would be quickly drawn out because of the pain that the body feels. Selfishness is also in man's nature. This can be observed in any child, it just becomes more masked as the individual grows into adulthood. The idea that Solomon is trying to convey to his son is to be good.

"Withhold not good from those to whom it is due [its rightful owners], when it is in your power of your hand to do it." Proverbs 3:27, Amplified

It is sometimes hard for one to see another receive accolade after accolade. However, we are commanded to give those accolades as well as do any kind of good that is in our power to give. I remember a time that I was in a facility called U-Turn 4 Christ. It is a Christian restoration program for anyone involved in any kind of sin. Every morning we were to wake up and read the Proverbs which corresponded to the day of the month that we were in. On one particular morning, no one got up because no alarm seemed to go off, which in itself is odd. I should say that everyone besides our house leader accidentally slept in. He got up and decided it was best to discipline everyone instead of waking us up. Everyone in the house was late for work, I just so happened to work at the same place as my house leader. Everyone in the house was angry and no one felt that it was right. After work, my house leader came to me and asked for some money for gas money or he would not be able to get to work in the morning. I looked at him and smiled as sinister thoughts ran through my head. "I was late for work and you didn't care." Then the Lord spoke this verse to me. As far as I saw, he did not deserve it, but the Lord did, so I ended up giving him the money. What blessing would I have missed out on if I did not give him the money?

"Do not say to your neighbor, Go, and come again, and tomorrow I will give it, when you have it with you." Proverbs 3:28, Amplified

This is the oldest trick in the book to try and get out of giving. I have done this at different points in my life. I used to think that if they came back tomorrow they would either forget to come back or that they would find someone else to give it to them. The depth of our own self worth runs deeply within the heart of man. Again, if I had this type of attitude with my house leader, what kind of blessing would I have missed out on? "So let each one give as he purposes in his heart, not grudgingly or of necessity; for God loves a cheerful giver." (II Corinthians 9:7, NKJV) The word for cheerful that Paul uses in this verse means hilarious. So give hilariously!

"Do not contrive or dig up or cultivate evil against your neighbor, who dwells trustingly and confidently beside you." Proverbs 3:29, Amplified

I like the Amplified's version of this verse. It makes me think of the heart as a garden. To contrive is a process. It takes time to cultivate evil in the heart. To act out of passion is to act rashly and get caught. If one were to take his time planning, then he would have a better chance at not getting caught. But what is he focusing on? It is certainly not the Lord. Remember, Solomon is speaking to his son, Rehoboam. This is a message for believers, not unbelievers. We have to admit that there are times when thoughts like these enter into our hearts. But the true test is if we entertain the thought. Entertainment of the thought plants the seed, entertainment of the thought cultivates, waters, prunes, nurtures and finally harvests action.

"Contend not with a man for no reason, when he has done you no wrong." Proverbs 3:30, Amplified

In the last part of this section we are encouraged to contend with no man who has done no wrong to us. Remember that the Bible is not gender biased. Husbands need to ask if they are picking fights with their wives for no reason, and wives do the same. Parents are to do the same for children and children for parents. Think of other places as well around your town, like the grocery store. I have seen women fighting over the last box of an item (or even the department store over sale items). I think that what the Lord is trying to coney in this verse is that there are more important things in life than fighting. Prayer is more important than fighting; pray for that person that took the last item that you wanted. It is possible that they needed it more than you.

Go and be good.

No comments:

Post a Comment