Saturday, December 4, 2010

The Miser (Proverbs 23:6-8)

To dine, or participate in any activity with a person who is miserly will always come to bite you in the butt.

"Eat not the bread of him who has a hard, grudging and envious eye, neither desire his dainty foods; for as he thinks in his heart, so is he. As one who reckons he says to you, eat and drink, yet his heart is not with you [but is grudging the cost]." Proverbs 23:6-7, Amplified

So the miser, as we learn in this verse is also an envious man. All he wants is more of what he has an would much rather you get what you want or need elsewhere. There is no good company found with the miser. So in essence as you eat, or enjoy yourself in whatever activity, the miser dislikes you because he is constantly counting the cost. And the more you eat and enjoy the more he dislikes you.

"The morsel which you have eaten you will vomit up, and your complimentary words will be wasted." Proverbs 23:8, Amplified

What the apparent meaning of this verse is that as you eat and enjoy from the hand of the miser, you may find that he has given to you grudgingly and that will vomit up what you have eaten. I know that I myself have been placed into this situation. I was hanging out with a guy who I thought was my friend and the more time I spent with him, the more I realized he did not want me there. Once I came to this knowledge, there were no words that I could say that would rectify the situation.
The same can be said about the miser in this verse. As you come to the knowledge that he really does not want you there, there will be no words to make him feel better.

No comments:

Post a Comment