Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Cosigning (Proverbs 22:26-27)

Again, it cannot be stressed enough how much the Lord dislikes someone becoming surety for someone else. In other words, do not cosign.

"Be not one of those who strike hands and pledge themselves, or of those who become surety for another's debts. If you have nothing with which to pay, why should he take away your bed from under you." Proverbs 22:26-27, Amplified

What this is pointing to is placing our faith in mankind. We cosign with the belief that the one we cosign for will be responsible. Our faith can never be in man. I have a coworker right now who is dodging phone calls from a couple who cosigned for his car. Believe it or not, he is not paying the bill, now the creditors are after them. Growing up, my parents would not even cosign for me. I am so glad that they did not, because I was not yet responsible enough myself. I would have been the financial demise of my parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment