Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Training (Proverbs 22:6)

This is a verse that I held on to when I was going astray. Though I knew that what I was doing was wrong, I was not willing to turn from whatever sin I was involved in.

"Train up a child in the way he should go [and in keeping with his individual gift or bent], and when he is old he will not depart from it." Proverbs 22:6, Amplified

I thank my parents everyday for teaching me the things of God, for without that I would still be lost. The Bible never infers that a child will not leave the Way, it only states that when he is old he will not depart rom it. Everyone needs to find their own way in this world. If that means straying from the Lord, then that is what he must do. The Bible encourages each one of us by saying this, "Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling." (Philippians 2:12, NKJV) Each one of us has that responsibility in our own lives. Parents are called to lead and direct, but each has his own decisions to make. I made my own decisions, most of which I regret from my adolescence, but I returned to the Way.
Parents, be strengthened with the knowledge that if you have trained your child up in the ways of the Lord, then that foundation will ever be present within their hearts and minds. That sure footing will forever be there for them to return to when they have exhausted everything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment