Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Proud Father (Proverbs 15:20)

There is no other relationship like that of a father and son. Being a father myself, I now understand that every father wants his child, specifically his son, to make him a proud father.

"A wise son makes a glad father, but a self-confident and foolish man despises his mother and puts her to shame." Proverbs 15:20, Amplified

For years, my father and I were at odds. I did not feel the need to listen to my father because I did not respect my father. How could I respect an alcoholic? How could I love a man who had threatened to kick my butt? Three times my mother split up with my father because of the man that he was. Sadly, the third time was because of my prodding. Then the Lord showed me that in hating my father, I actually was not treating my mother the way that I should. I was a disrespectful child.
"Honor your mother and father, that your days may be long upon the land which the Lord your God gave you." (Exodus 20:12) This is the first commandment with a promise attached to it. Over the years, the Lord helped heal the relationship between my father and I. My father died a good and righteous man. I was able to spend his last three hours with him though I am unsure if he knew I was there. In that time, I was able to say something to him. I told him that it was okay if he died because I would be there to watch over mom and my brother. I told him that I loved him. About thirty minutes later, he passed. In having my relationship with my father mended, i know I made my father glad. The mended relationship also cleaned up any shame that I may have caused my mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment