Saturday, February 20, 2010

Less is More (Proverbs 15:16-17)

Some times less is really more.

"Better is little with reverent, worshipful fear of the Lord than great and rich treasure and trouble with it." Proverbs 15:16, Amplified

How much is too much? Paul wrote to Timothy of this very idea, "Now godliness with contentment is great gain." (First Timothy 6:6, NKJV) I have to ask myself on various occasion if I am content. There are times that I want more. I realize, though, that (for me) the more I receive the less I perceive. The physical tends to cloud the eternal in my eyes. The less that I have the more I must rely on Him for what I need.

"Better is a dinner of herbs where love is, than a fatted ox and hatred with it." Proverbs 15:17, Amplified

This verse is just expanding on the former thought. It is so much better to eat in peace and harmony than to eat in a place of contention. The important things in this verse is not what is consumed, but how it is consumed. Again, we are focusing more on the eternal and spiritual than the temporary. love has the ability to last much longer than a good meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment