Saturday, September 12, 2009

Use My Hands (Proverbs 6:6-11)

Everything in nature expresses an attribute of God. He has created everything for His own desires and own purposes. It was for His delight that man was created. Somewhere along the line we have lost that ability to see God in everything. Human nature is clouding spiritual perception. Our own nature overcomes us so that we fulfill the lust of our own desires. We fill ourselves with empty promises; the void inside the heart grows larger and larger. Our psychologists of today call it a self preservation. We comfort ourselves. But true self preservation includes hard work. I am not speaking of spiritual works like different religions and cults around the globe. I am talking about hard work in the regular common life. The apostle Paul understood the precept and wrote, "For even when we were with you, we commanded you this: If anyone will not work, neither shall he eat." (II Thessalonians 3:10, NKJV)
Solomon saw this nature in the ant. Work, work, work.

"Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider her ways, and be wise; which having no chief, overseer or ruler, provides her food in the summer, and gather her supplies in the harvest." Proverbs 6:6-8, Amplified

Sluggardness is a cankerous sore on our society today. It is eating away at our youth. Have you ever seen an ant sitting under an umbrella sipping a Mai Tai? When ever you see the ant, no matter how irritating they may be, they are always one the move. They are unlike any other insect in the world today. Call it what you will, either laziness or sluggardness, one must admit the observation that I have made is true. It seems that the elders of our society have failed to pass down fundamental values that made our country great. Just two generations ago, men got up every morning and went to work while the women stayed home tending to their families. Where have those values and ethics gone? Go tot he ant. Work, work, work.

"How long will you sleep, O sluggard? When will you rise out of your sleep?" Proverbs 6:9, Amplified

This is not a rhetorical question. How long will the sluggard sleep? Idleness is something that a Christian is warned against. There is a great proverb (not from the Bible) which states, "Idles hands are the Devils playground." In other words, hands that are not at work will be used for something else. The Christian who refuses to do the Lord's work will not reap the spiritual benefits. His hands will cause him to fall. I know from personal experience that if my hands are not being used for the Lord's work then they will be providing for my pleasure. I woke up recently. I went to the ant. Work, work, work.

"Yet a little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to lie down and sleep; so shall your poverty come as a robber or one who travels [with slow but surely approaching steps], and your want as an armed man [making you helpless]." Proverbs 6:10-11, Amplified

This is not the last time that Solomon will use these words. In Proverbs 24:33-34, Solomon will reiterate this same idea. One thing that I have learned is that if the Lord chooses to repeat Himself, it must be very important.
One sometimes says to himself that he needs a little rest, a break. I know that I took a break from school. After graduating High School, I wanted to take a short break before I went to college. My short break turned into 15 years. There is a certain personal understanding that I have with this verse. During my break from school, I had no intention of never going, time just came and went. Things happen at the speed of life and slows down for no man. I never got my career going, I have been working to make ends meet for a very long time.
We are in danger of the same things happening in our spiritual life. Idle hands do not make for a beautiful Christian. I must work. I must do. I was at the place of spiritual bankruptcy; it is a sad and demented place to find yourself. For one moment you live in the kings house dining on exquisite treats; the next moment you are sleeping with the pigs eating slop. No more sleeping. No more slumbering. No more resting. Work, work, work. Go to the ant. Use my hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment