Friday, September 25, 2009

Blessing of Wisdom (Proverbs 8:32-36)

There is a certain blessing that comes to a man when he obtains wisdom. Life seems to get better with the wisdom that he has found. However, when that same wisdom is denied by man, his life will go down a slippery slope. You see the way of wisdom is an upward progression. If one were to choose the way of folly there is only one other direction to travel, downward.

"Now therefore listen to me, O you sons; for blessed - happy, fortunate [to be envied] - are those who keep my ways." Proverbs 8:32, Amplified

Happy and fortunate is the man who not only find the way of wisdom, but also keep it. There is a certain care that goes into "keeping" something. One can find a number of things in life, but until one takes the time to keep it, then it truly has no value for that individual. "For where your treasure is there will be you heart also." (Matthew 6:21, NKJV) The cultivation of wisdom is the key here. Keep it, take care of it, love it but do not forsake it.

"Hear instruction and be wise, and do not refuse or neglect it." Proverbs 8:33, Amplified

A part of truly becoming wise is the acceptance of instruction. Instruction is not necessarily synonymous with discipline. One can receive instruction without discipline. I currently work in a school and daily I am in a class helping to instruct. I do not go into the children with a belt or whip in my hand. Instruction is never forced, it must be received. I try to have the gentle hands needed to guide the impressionable minds of these young children. They have the option to neglect what I am trying to teach them. It is solely their responsibility to either accept or reject the instruction that I have. In truth, the instruction of myself or their teachers will ultimately leave them in a better position than when they first started the day.

"Blessed - happy, fortunate [to be envied] - is the man who listens to me, watching at my gates, waiting at the posts of my doors. Whoever finds me [Wisdom] finds life, and shall draw forth and obtain favor of the Lord." Proverbs 8:34-35, Amplified

There are those who seek wisdom out on a daily basis, waiting for any morsel that may fall from her table. Blessed are those who find those morsels. If wisdom cannot be found where we are the we must go to it, we must seek it out. The intensity of the search reveals the desire of the heart. In finding wisdom one comes into life and favor with the Lord. This is not a coincidence or a hope, it is a promise.

"But he who misses me or sins against me wrongs and injures himself; all who hate me love and court death." Proverbs 8:36, Amplified

We must understand this one spiritual truth, if we are not for the Lord then we are against Him. There is no neutral ground here. To not love wisdom is to hate it. This word hate used by Solomon is speaking of a personal hatred. It is like that one person that you do not like just because. When asked why you hate, no definite answer can be given. To not love wisdom is to treat it in the same fashion. As I stated earlier, if we are not traveling in the upward direction of wisdom then we are traveling in the other direction. To turn your back on wisdom is to turn and face death.

No comments:

Post a Comment