Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Good Hard Day's Work (Proverbs 16:26)

This next verse seems a little selfish when read, but I assure you, it is connected to a spiritual law.

"The appetite of the laborer works for him, for the need of his mouth urges him on." Proverbs 16:26, Amplified

There are many different types of laboring in the world. There is the labor of an expectant mother bringing her child into the world. Most of us work for a corporation or a business where we labor for our boss. In early America, slaves labored for their masters. And the list goes on. But there is one thing that all these have in common: they all must eat.
I remember working for Denny's, I hated my job, because that is all it was a job. It wasn't even a 9 to 5, it was a 9 to whatever time I could exit the building. But I worked my little fanny off because I needed to eat and to pay my bills. I worked so hard because I needed to care for my family. What this verse is trying to convey is that we all work to the best of our abilities to support ourselves and/or our families. Paul wrote, "For even when we were with you, we commanded you this: if anyone will not work, neither shall he eat." (Second Thessalonians 3:10, NKJV) In order to receive, one must contribute. This was the whole idea behind Social Security and Disability. The government wanted to take care of its citizens after a long life's work or after an injury on the job. But you must have had a work history in order to receive these benefits. Sometimes we must fight for what is rightfully ours, but the Lord promises that if we work, we will be taken care of. The Lord watches after his own and cares for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment