Thursday, March 10, 2011

Taking Glory

There is a trap that I have been involved in far too many times. It is the trap of building myself up to other people, making myself bigger than I really was at the time. In truth I am no bigger than I was then, no better than I was then. If I am bigger and better, it is solely because of the Lord in my life.

"Be not forward [self-assertive and boastfully ambitious] in the presence of the king, and stand not in the place of great men; for better is it that it be said to you, Come up here, than you should be put lower in the presence of the prince whose eyes have seen you." Proverbs 25:6-7, Amplified

Jesus spoke the very same words to His disciples. "When you are invited by anyone to a wedding feast, do not sit down in the best place, lest anyone more honorable than you be invited by him; and he who invited you and him come and say to you, 'Give place to this man,' and then you begin with shame to take the lowest place. But when you are invited, go and sit down in the lowest place, so that when he who invited you comes he may say to you, 'Friend, go up higher.' Then you will have glory in the presence of those who sit at the table with you." (Luke 14:8-10, NKJV) It's simple: do not take glory for yourself, rather allow glory to overtake you.

No comments:

Post a Comment