Thursday, March 25, 2010

Pride and Humility (Proverbs 16:18-19)

Pride is the antithesis of the Christian spirit. Pride allows no room for anyone else including Jesus Christ. Pride has destroyed many people and I fear that it is far from finished for pride has a voracious appetite.

"Pride goes before destruction and a haughty spirit before a fall." Proverbs 16:18, Amplified

This has to be one of the most misquoted verses in the Bible. I have always heard that pride goes before the fall, but no, it is the haughty spirit that brings about the fall. Haughtiness is very similar to pride, but is in itself an entirely different beast. It is defined by Webster's as arrogance.
This haughtiness reminds me of another person in the Bible: Lucifer. In Isaiah we get a glimpse as to why he fell. "For you have said in your heart: 'I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God; I will also sit on the mount of the congregation on the farthest sides of the north; I will ascend above the heights of the clouds, I will be like the Most High.'" (Isaiah 14:13-14, NKJV) "I will's" leave no room for "we can's".
When we exalt ourselves, be sure that a fall is coming. Pride and arrogance are twin sisters whose soul purpose is to bring men (and women) down.

"Better it is to be of a humble spirit with the meek and the poor, than to divide the spoil with the proud." Proverbs 16:19, Amplified

It is far better to be humble than proud. Jesus spoke many different times on this very same subject. Pride leaves us rigid and breakable. Humility leaves us soft an moldable. "The word which came to Jeremiah from the Lord saying: 'Arise and go down to the potter's house, and there I will cause you to hear My words.' Then I went down to the potter's house, and there he was, making something at the wheel. And the vessel that he made of clay was marred in the hand of the potter; so he made it again into another vessel, at it seemed good to the potter to make. Then he word of the Lord came to me, saying: 'O house of Israel, can I not do with you as the potter?' says the Lord. 'Look, as the clay is in the potter's hand, so you are in My hand, O house of Israel!'" (Jeremiah 18:1-6, NKJV)
An unfinished pot can constantly be reshaped and reformed in to another vessel. Water can always be added to the clay to keep it pliable. God is not finished with the earthen vessel that writes this devotion. I am not ready for the kiln till He says that I am finished. When will that be? I do not know. But until then I want to remain pliable and workable.

No comments:

Post a Comment